I started wearing my red turbans and nail polish when I get my period, so they will hopefully pick up on it…
Brother: “Are you praying?”
*This is a very short post about Jesus (AS) that does not do him justice. I suggest you do research about him some more elsewhere, this is a basic rundown of his role in Islam.
1. Muslims Believe in Jesus?!
- Why yes, Islam honors all the prophets who were sent to mankind. In Arabic, he is known as Isa or Eesa. Muslims respect all prophets in general, but Jesus in particular, because he was one of the prophets who foretold the coming of Muhammad. Muslims, too, await the second coming of Jesus. They consider him one of the greatest of Allah’s prophets to mankind. A Muslim does not refer to him simply as “Jesus,” but normally adds the phrase “peace be upon him” as a sign of respect.
No other religion in the world respects and dignifies Jesus as Islam does. The Quran confirms his virgin birth (a chapter of the Quran is entitled “Mary”), and Mary is considered to have been one of the purest women in all creation.
2. So what does the Qur’an say about Jesus?
- The Quran describes Jesus’ birth as follows:
"Behold!’ the Angel said, God has chosen you, and purified you, and chosen you above the women of all nations. Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him, whose name shall be the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, honored in this world and in the Hereafter, and one of those brought near to God. He shall speak to the people from his cradle and in maturity, and he shall be of the righteous. She said: "My Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?’ He said: "Even so; God creates what He will. When He decrees a thing, He says to it, ‘Be!’ and it is." [3:42-47]
Muslims believe that Jesus was born immaculately, and through the same power which had brought Eve to life and Adam into being without a father or a mother.
"Truly, the likeness of Jesus with God is as the likeness of Adam. He created him of dust, and then said to him, ‘Be!’ and he was." [3:59]
During his prophetic mission, Jesus performed many miracles. The Quran tells us that he said:
"I have come to you with a sign from your Lord: I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it and it becomes a bird by God’s leave. And I heal the blind, and the lepers, and I raise the dead by God’s leave." [3:49]
3. Does that mean Muslims believe in the Bible?
- Apart of being a Muslim, we are to acknowledge all the religious scriptures given to previous prophets. This includes, the Torah (revealed to Moses), the Bible (revealed to Jesus), Psalms (revealed to David) and we consider the Qur’an, which was revealed to Prophet Muhammad as the last and final book of God’s words. However, it does not mean we believe the content of the previous books today. Muslims believe that they have been changed over time and no longer hold the original message of God. If one was to look back at the original books and compare them with the Qur’an, you will notice many similarities between the books.
4. Do Muslims accept his crucifixion?
- When the Romans came to arrest and crucify Jesus, we believe that God saved him and raised him to the heavens. God then replaced him with someone with Jesus’ likeness and he was crucified instead.
And [We cursed them] for their disbelief and their saying against Mary a great slander, And [for] their saying, “Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of God .” And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain. Rather, Allah raised him to Himself. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise. (4:156-4:159)
5. Do Muslims believe in his second coming?
- As Christians do, Muslims also believe in the return of Jesus the Messiah to earth, although his role and reason for his return does differ from what the Christians propose. He will return to earth first and foremost to prove his mortality and refute the false beliefs people held about him. He will live a normal life, marry, and also die as any other human. At that point, the matter will be clear concerning him, and all people will have believed that he was truly mortal.
Jesus will also fight the Anti-Christ, who will call people to the belief that he is God, and who will appear just before he returns. Jesus will defeat the Antichrist, and all people will accept the true religion of God. The world will see a type of peace and serenity unfelt in history, all worshipping the same God, subservient to Him alone, and at peace with one another.
Muslims believe that he was not God, nor was he the ‘Son of God’, but was the Messiah, an illustrious prophet of God. Jesus did not invite people to worship himself; rather, he called them to worship God, Whom he himself worshipped. Muhammad and Jesus, as well as the other prophets, were sent to confirm the belief in one God. This is referred to in the Quran where Jesus is reported as saying that he came:
"To attest the law which was before me, and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden you; I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear God and obey me." [3:50]
Prophet Muhammad emphasized the importance of Jesus by saying: “Whoever believes there is no god but Allah, alone without partner, that Muhammad is His messenger, that Jesus is a servant and messenger of God, His word breathed into Mary and a spirit emanating from Him, and that Paradise and Hell are true, shall be received by God into Heaven. [Bukhari]
OP notes: May God forgive me if I have written anything false without my knowledge, please feel free to respectfully correct anything I’ve mistakenly written or have said. Also, please feel free to add any sources or points I have missed as well. I did not write most of this article, it’s a compilation of various online sources.
.@Stoya can’t give talks in high schools, because she makes porn films. If she could, here’s what she’d say about respecting other people’s boundaries during sex.
A person’s first condom, strap-on, or lacy thong doesn’t come with a pamphlet explaining active consent. Tampon companies don’t print statements on the back of their boxes encouraging teenagers to express their desires and ask for the desires of their sexual partners. Someone should do something about this. It would be extremely inappropriate for me to march into high schools and begin expounding upon communication, respecting other people’s limits, and taking responsibility for expressing your own. What I can do is expound upon some basic guidelines on the internet and hope the core concepts trickle down.
So, here they are:
1. Ask the people you will be having sex with what their preferences and limits are. This fosters active consent and encourages communication.
2. In order for a sexual partner to be able to give you what you want, you have to tell them what your desires are. A sexual partner can’t respect your limits if you don’t express them.
3. It is completely OK to retract your consent during a sex act. You can say that something is more intense than you thought it would be and you are no longer OK with it. If you do not speak up your partner(s) have no guaranteed way of knowing that you are unhappy or uncomfortable.
4. If a sexual partner says something hurts, uses a “safe word” or other signal to communicate that they want the sexual interaction to stop, or just looks unhappy, freaked out, or generally not OK, you need to stop what you’re doing and check in with them.
5. If your partner(s) are drunk or high, their ability to consent is questionable. If they’ve previously expressed distaste for anal sex and are slurring “Fuck my asshole” you should politely decline and bring the subject up later when they’re sober. This applies to any sexual act that you have not previously engaged in with this person.
6. As a general rule, don’t penetrate an orifice, pee, vomit, or bleed on someone, or slap them around without discussing the act first.
7. If your sexual partner(s) express a limit or ask for something to stop and you do not respect it, you are stepping onto a scale that ranges from “jerk” to “full-on rapist”. Personally, I don’t want to be on that scale at all, and I don’t want to engage in sexual activity with anyone who does hang out on that scale.
8. If one of your sexual partners steps on to the jerk-to-full-on rapist scale, call them out on it. You have the right to end the sexual activity you are engaged in and to decline sexual activity with them in the future. There you are. If any condom companies want to use those bits on their wrappers, hit me up.
Originally published in: New Statesman.
To read the entire article, CLICK below:
Follow Stoya on Tumblr: http://stoya.tumblr.com
Follow Stoya on Instagram: http://instagram.com/stoya
I want more queer friendship stories. Not just stories where the only two queer people find each other and fall in unhealthy codependent love in a sea of cishets. Give me whole communities of queer people. Give me queer best friends gushing to each other about their silly crushes. Give me younger queers going to older queers for advice and guidance, without getting creeped on. Give me queer friends cuddling and watching tv together, or baking cookies together, or a big group of diverse queer people fighting about where to go out to eat because everyone has a different favorite place, but ultimately they decide to go to everyone’s favorite place at least once and just flip a coin or something to decide who’s turn it is to pick. Give me queer friends from different cultures bonding over sharing their cultural differences. Give me queer people starting college or moving for a new job and learning how to be a part of a new community full of other queer people.
Romance is nice and all, and queer romance needs more representation. But friendship is every bit as important, and more important to some people. I don’t want to hear stories where I have to hope I find that one other queer person to be happy with and then shut out the rest of the world. I want community.
DONT GO THRU OLD CONVERSATIONS WITH SOMEONE WHO U USED TO BE CLOSE WITH
look i like the surface aesthetic stuff so much it’s very much my wheelhouse, but this is the thing i love, the detail; the changes in the story (the big story through the little details); the way the birds fall, deathless, russian feelings, go through it and keep going, read it cheek to jowl with red plenty and then read red plenty’s bibliography and get drunk on it, then having read the fairytales written from the outside read the stories from the heart of it
If you haven’t read Deathless you’re missing out. I’m not sure I can cleanly articulate why but for me -
it was like drinking clean water and coming back to understand why I studied what I studied, why the important things stick and bite down into your soul
how even the domovie had to form committees to remain relevant how even these creatures who could rule homes had to watch their words and swallow them down. can you imagine reinventing your language in a moment’s notice? words that you were free to speak were no longer available to you (if you wanted to stay free) truth was no longer available to you (if you wanted to stay free) but the trick here is that no one was free
how this book references all the great Russian authors, specifically of that time period but also looking back. when you’re reading about Marya’s great feast you should be thinking of Gogol’s great love for describing food (but remember that he starved himself), when you read about the wartorn streets and Marya’s drawn face looking over her men remember Babel and the dead goose, when you read about Marya in love remember Margarita, who made a deal with the devil and would burn down the world for her lover
but remember too that this book is not about the aesthetics of Russia or Marya’s love, but is the story of Russia’s bloody history through folklore, specifically Russian folklore, which is soaked in blood and hope. Baba Yaga sits in her house and she’ll swallow your soul in a moment if you don’t treat her right. the thing is to know how to navigate your world (remember Solzhenitsyn in the gulag, he walked through death and came through but you don’t come out unchanged. remember that prison narratives are stories about the underworld).
Everything in this book maps. It is meticulously researched. The language is evocative of Russian speech, the images are dark and beautiful and rend like the broken hopes of the poets who dreamed the revolution would bring something good. Have you read Mayakovsky? He shouts because he’s afraid no one would hear. He killed himself. Have you read Bulgakov? He told the truth, and he died. Have you read Babel? He died. Have you read Blok? Esenin? They died they died they died under the heel of terror, under a system who knew full well the power of literature and art and how dangerous it is
and this book, Deathless, is a love letter to all of them, to everyone who died, to the culture that was murdered, and to the beauty that still remains.
So if you read this book, and all you take away is Marya dressed in red with Koschei her lover, and the power of makeup, and ruling with an iron fist, I understand, because these are strong and powerful images, but I beg of you to dig deeper than that. This book is offering a very accessible window into Russian culture and literature, and if you ignore it you’ve missed the point.
# how dare you i am an adult # pubert is what i have decided to call all adolescents under the age of 18 # but yeah if you even consider taking advantage of a kid who wants to hook up with you # you’re fucking gross # even if they’re 17 # even if they’re 18 and still in high school # don’t be a scumbag # they are children
If you are an adult on the receiving end of sexual attention from a minor, the only appropriate response is a firm, non-negotiable “no.” Not an “I would, but the darn law…” not, “maybe when you’re eighteen,” a “no.” It is your job as the adult to be responsible, and to not abuse the power differential between you. What the minor wants is irrelevant to your obligations. The only appropriate response is “no.”
"get away from me, you pubert, before i have you thrown in baby jail" also works.
Cate Blanchett wins the Oscars on more than one level.
Hard to trash talk the country that gave the world Robyn and her beautiful voice. And hair.
ALSO, THIS IS SO NICE. I’M PROUD OF EVERYONE WHO WEREN’T DICKS TO THE SWEDISH TEAM AFTER THAT GAME. ALSO, WHY DOES IT SEEM LIKE EVERY SWEDISH PERSON IS RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING?! CAPS ARE NEEDED.
You are like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a bitch.